LAC – Useful links
If you have been referred to a site by a member of Leeds Assessment Centre staff, but cannot find it here, please contact the Assessment Centre who will be happy to help you.
University of Leeds
- The Equality Service incorporates the Leeds Assessment Centre, the RNIB and University of Leeds Transcription Centre and the Disability Team along with the Equality and Diversity Team. All enquiries about services offered to disabled students at Leeds should be directed to: email@example.com or visit www.equality.leeds.ac.uk
- All the information you need to know about what Libraries do for disabled customers can be found here at http://library.leeds.ac.uk/info/123/disabled_access/24/disabled_access/2.
Information System Services (ISS)
- ISS maintain the University’s computing and information systems, including facilities to assist disabled students. http://it.leeds.ac.uk/info/174/assistive_technology
Access to Learning Funds (ALF)
- These funds are provided by central Government but administered by Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). They are intended to help students to access and remain in higher education. ALF is a valuable source of funding for some disabled students who cannot get sufficient funds to meet their needs from other sources. ALF is administered differently in different institutions. For more information specifically on the University of Leeds ALF please visit: www.leeds.ac.uk/ssc/alf.htm
- The quality and standards organisation for Assessment Centres. For more information, including all the Quality Audit Framework documents, see: www.dsa-qag.org.uk
National Network of Assessment Centres NNAC
- Most Assessment Centres, including the Leeds Assessment Centre are members of the NNAC. NNAC provide information to students and staff at Higher and Further Education Institutions on Assessment Centres and DSA visit http://www.nnac.org/ for further information.
Student Finance England (SFE).
- SFE are in essence the administrative ‘front end’ of the Student Loans Company. From September 2009 they have taken over the administration of all student finance, including new DSA claims from English students. For further information please visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
- For information on Disabled Students’ Allowances please follow this link: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas
Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
- For students from Scotland, Disabled Students’ Allowances are managed by the SAAS. Please follow this link for more information. http://www.saas.gov.uk/how_to_apply/dsa_forms.htm
Student Finance Wales
- For students from Wales, Disabled Students’ Allowances are managed by Student Finance Wales. For further information visit: http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/new-students/201415-what-financial-support-is-available/extra-support/disabled-students%E2%80%99-allowances.aspx#.VD-lLqNwbcs
Student Finance Northern Ireland
- For students from Northern Ireland, Disabled Students’ Allowances are managed by Student Finance Northern Ireland. Please follow this link for more information. http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=54,1268397&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
- Students funded through research councils (usually research postgraduates) can often obtain disability support funding through their research council. All research council websites can be accessed through this page: http://www.rcuk.ac.uk/ResearchCareers/Pages/home.aspx
NHS Business Services Authority
- For Students funded through NHS bursaries, Disabled Students’ Allowances are managed by NHS Business Services Authority. For more information please visit: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/1198.aspx
Snowdon Awards Scheme
- Snowdon is a charitable trust that provides additional funding for many disabled Higher Education students. Though the amounts provided do not approach those of DSA, they can be quite significant. The Snowdon Awards Scheme is considered an important potential source of funding. www.snowdonawardscheme.org.uk/